You are at the home of District 5 (Pierce County) in Washington State. Please consider volunteering. If you would like to volunteer for next tax season, click here.

Site Locations

Are you looking for the closest Site to have your return prepared? Try these options:

  • In Pierce County the AARP Tax-Aide public sites are located throughout Pierce County from Buckley to Gig Harbor and from Ruston to Puyallup. We are located in Puyallup, Ruston, Tacoma, Lakewood, Buckley, Edgewood and Milton. Click here to see a listing.
  • We serve the deaf and hard of hearing at the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Center, where Signers assist the taxpayers.
  • Some VITA sites will continue to provide services after the tax deadline for people who filed extensions, need past date returns filed, or who want to amend their returns. Please click here to access the VITA website and click on the link to see the sites.
  • You can also call 2-1-1 (in Washington State) and they will let you know the closest location for you.
  • Click here for a locator nation wide.
  • We coordinate with VITA in Pierce County and a complete site listing of AARP Tax-Aide and VITA sites is available here.

AARP Tax-Aide provides free personal income tax preparation and assistance
to low- and middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to those age 60 and over.

Volunteering for AARP Tax-Aide

AARP Tax-Aide volunteers are very dedicated people who volunteer in Pierce County, Washington. They are trained and re-certified annually. Many volunteers help Taxpayers at our Sites two to four days a week. A number of our volunteers are still working and volunteer on Saturdays. If you would like to volunteer, click here.

Training for new volunteers begins with an Orientation in December and then training takes place from 8:15am to 4:30pm on four Saturdays in January.

The following is from the www.AARP.org web site:

Like working with numbers?

AARP Tax Volunteers interact with clients by filling out tax returns on laptop computers. [With some] accounting or tax preparation experience, becoming a Tax Volunteer may be right for you. AARP Tax-Aide provides training in tax law and using tax preparation software.

Like working with people better than working with numbers?

An AARP Tax-Aide Client Facilitator is the first person taxpayers meet when they enter a tax site. Client Facilitators make sure the taxpayer has all the necessary paperwork before meeting with a counselor, and they manage the flow of taxpayers being served.

Have a knack for computers and technology?

Technology Coordinators manage computer equipment, work to ensure taxpayer data security and provide technical assistance to volunteers at multiple sites on technology issues.

Love getting the word out about community services?

Communications Coordinators promote AARP Tax-Aide to potential clients from November to April and recruit volunteers in the fall for the following tax season.

Good at managing people and programs?

Leadership positions at the local and district levels manage volunteers, synchronize plans with other volunteer leaders and make sure program operations run smoothly.

Student Program

We are involved with a program at Pierce College. A representative of the Accounting Department coordinates with the Training Specialist for District 5 so that students in the Accounting Program can participate during the Winter Quarter after completing their tax course during the Fall Quarter. They are trained by AARP Tax-Aide Volunteers on the software we use and receive further training in tax law and preparation of returns. They receive course credit and valuable experience in tax preparation.

What should I bring to the Site to have my tax return prepared?

  • Your spouse, if you are married, filing jointly
  • Photo identification
  • End of year tax statements from all sources of income (W-2 from each job you worked, 1099s for interest and dividend income, unemployment compensation, Social Security benefits, pensions, etc.
  • A copy of last years tax return if you have it
  • Social Security card (not just the written number) or Individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN) for every person to be claimed on your return
  • Birthdates for every person to be claimed on your return
  • Child care expenses and provider name, address and tax ID number
  • Mortgage interest statement and property tax statement if you own a home
  • Listing of all cash donations with a total and a separate list of non-cash donations with a total
  • Documentation of college or other education expenses
  • For direct deposit, you will need a copy of a check or if a savings account a document printed from your bank with the Routing and Account number.



Leave a Reply